Stephen Weinstock, MD, FACS founded The Eye Institute of West Florida in Largo, Florida in 1974. He began seeing patients for their general ophthalmic care but soon realized that specialty eye care by experts in each disease of the eye was an absolute necessity and would be wonderful for the Tampa Bay community. He has delivered on that vision by bringing top physicians and the best technology to The Eye Institute of West Florida so patients have world-class eye care by specialists here at home.
Pioneering many procedures and being the first to offer the latest techniques, this team of highly trained experts is internationally recognized in the field of ophthalmology. Over the past 44 years, The Eye Institute of West Florida has grown to six convenient eye care locations throughout Tampa Bay, the Largo Ambulatory Surgery Center, the Weinstock Laser Eye Center, and the Aesthetic Institute. From the beginning, our practice has been dedicated to enriching our patients’ lives through better vision.
We focus on superior results with friendly service. Every team member is devoted to serving our patients in a warm and personal environment. Whether you need routine care or diagnosis and treatment for a specific type of eye disease, you will receive the best care available.
Milestone of The Eye Institute of West Florida
Trust Your Eyes to Experience
Since 1974 The Eye Institute of West Florida has been caring for patients in the Tampa Bay area. We continue to grow and invest in the latest technologies to be able to provide better vision to patients. We are proud to serve our local community as well as patients that travel from around the world to The Eye Institute of West Florida when they need expert eye surgery.
Serving Our Community for Over 40 Years
- 1974: Dr. Stephen Weinstock opens his ophthalmology practice in Largo, FL
- 1975: Dr. Stephen Weinstock performs the first YAG Laser procedure in Pinellas County
- 1988: Dr. Jeffrey Schwartz joins the practice and becomes the first full-time glaucoma specialist in Pinellas County
- 1990: Opens St. Petersburg location
- 1994: Dr. Leonard Kirsch joins the practice adding a Retina, Vitreous, and Macula specialist to the group
- 1996: Dr. Stephen Weinstock performs the first LASIK procedure with the Excimer Laser in Pinellas County
- 2000: Opens the Aesthetic Institute and begins offering facial rejuvenation with surgical and non-surgical procedures.
- 2001: Dr. Robert Weinstock, son of Dr. Stephen Weinstock, joins the practice specializing in Refractive Cataract and LASIK surgery
- 2001: Dr. Richard Hairston joins the practice adding a Retina, Vitreous, and Macula specialist to the group
- 2003: Opening of Largo Ambulatory Surgery Center dedicated exclusively to ophthalmic care
- 2004: 1st Group to pioneer Cold Technology
- 2007: 1st Group in Tampa Bay to perform True Vision cataract surgery
- 2008: 1st Group in Tampa Bay to utilize Ora Wavetec technology in eye surgery
- 2008: Dr. Jasmine Mohadjer joins the team specializing in Oculoplastic and Reconstructive Surgery
- 2008: Dr. Neel Desai joins the practice adding a Cornea, Cataract and LASIK specialist to the group
- 2014: Opens Hyde Park location
- 2016: Second St. Petersburg location opens
- 2017: Opens Westchase location in Tampa
Surgeon: Dr. Stephen Weinstock
I am extremely pleased with everything about this clinic – would not even consider going elsewhere and have recommended to many people!